Sunday, March 15, 2009

Goin' Out for a Walk

I am really irritated with myself that I am just now getting around to writing about this my blog, but here goes. In October of this year I along with 10 other women will be walking the the #Day Breast Cancer Walk in Atlanta, GA. We decided shortly after the beginning of the year to form a team. I am so excited because this is something that I have wanted to do for a very long time. At first, our group consisted of nine women who work at Forest Hills Elementary School, but then we added one lady form Florence Middle School and another from Florence Christian Academy. we refer to ourselves as the Fighting Falcons. These 11 women include: me, Nichole Campbell, Pam Kirkland, Donna Lamprecht, Melanie Mabry, Juanita Sheffield, Leah Smith, Megan Smith, Jan Stone, Leslie Thorn and Jessica Wallace.
For those of you who do not know what the 3 Day is about I will try to explain. During a period of three days we will walk 20 miles a day for three days to equal a total of 60 miles. The walk is around downtown Atlanta. There are actually many walks around the country, but this is the closest one to us, so we chose to participate at it. All the money raised for the event goes to the Susan G. Kohmen Foundation. Each team memeber must raise a minimum of $2300 . We all walk together during the day and sleep in our pink tents at night. Most teams have some creative theme. IF you would like information on the walk go to http://www.the3day.org/ or there are some really good videos on YouTube.
We are all very excited we have been fundraising quite a it lately. We have a T-shirt sale that is on going. ( I will post a picture of the shirt below, so if anyone is interested they are $10 and you can get in touch with me to order one.) We have raised quite a bit of money form it. We are thankful to Goodman's for making our shirts. This past Friday night we had our first Kid's Night Out. It was a huge success. I just hope the kids had as much fun as we did. We are hoping to have another one real soon with even more new activities planned. This week we will be hosting basketball games at Forest Hills to raise money. It is parents v teachers (or anyone who knows someone at Forest Hills). The cost is $5 to play and $1 to watch. On Tuesday it will be K-2 grades and then on Wednesday the 304 grades will play. Our half time performances will be twirlers who take classes from Connie gilley. This is always a fun activity for our ids to come and watch. Our other bug event coming up is Swamp John's. It is April 11 from 4-7 at Forest Hills. we will be selling tickets for $9. If you would like to purchase some, contact a team member. Also that evening in the lunchroom will be having an auction for some artwork donating by Jerry Foster.
We have several other thing going on that I will talk about from time to time. I also hope to get some pictures up of some events. If you would like to help with an event please let me know or if you would lie to make a donation to me or our team we would greatly appreciate it.
I am not really in training mode yet, but am sure once I get there that will be a topic of discussion on here as well


No comments:

Post a Comment