Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Legacy


Thank You by Ray Boltz

For about six weeks now I have planned on this blog but just havent had the time. What is interesting is over those last few weeks the word legacy has come to light in so many situations.
Just shortly after the new year on a Wednesday night Dr. Kenny Barfield gave a devotional on this topic. It was titled The Legacy. Sadly I am beginning to forget parts of the lesson but the basic principle was what kind of legacy do you want to leave. Each of us has something special to give to the world. Especially in our christian lives we should use whatever our talent we have in order to bring others to Christ. We may be the teacher, the missionary, the monetary giver, the war smile at church. It is not just in that church building that we carry that talent out. We may say a kind word to someone feeling down, help a person in need, pray for a friend or care for a loved one. We all can remember those special people who made our lives more fulfilling and helped us gain the "ultimate reward"
There are so many things we may want to be remembered for. Recently Michael Douglas (not a fan but hear me out) said he would much rather be remembered as a cancer survivor than an academy award winner. I know there are millions of people who proudly claim to be a survivor!! I personally among other things want to be remember as a great teacher whether in the classroom or lessons taught by my life's example. Dr. Barfield talked about the certain gifts we posess. I am honored to teach not only children but those special children of the world that so many people forget about or don't think are worth teaching. I pray that part of my legacy is having loved and taught those children despite their disability I don;t see them as broken or something to be fixed they are precious souls who need love like everyone else!!
I hope I leave the legacy of being a true friend. We have those who come in and out of our lives that we sometimes lose touch with; however I hope while they were in my life I was a good friend to them. The legacy of good friendships is something most can not live without. If a relationship passes the stage of acquaintance then all the rest continue on through friendship.
Within the last week a sweet lady, Mrs Helyn Cashion passed away from this life in her early nineties. I can only imagine the thousands of lives she touched through being a wonderful teacher, friend, grandmother tip all and fine Christian lady. She always treated me like a grandchild whether it was making pound cakes for Katie and her friends in college or for summer camp, having families over for dinner parties or teaching my Sunday night Bible class. She was a legacy to live up to.
Strangely enough Dr Barfield concluded his lesson with referring to Ray Boltz's son "thank You" Now if you know me it has been a favorite of mine for many many years. In fact as he preached that song kept coming to my mind. What a powerful example of how each life is touched by another sometimes without even knowing it. In the last year the song holds so much more meaning to me. Thank You was one of the songs sang at Charlotte's funeral. n that day I was not surprised to hear the song but Charlotte and I never really mentioned this being one we both loved. I can remember it coming up in an email but other than that I was not expecting it, but once Shannon began to sing tears poured down my face. I was a life changed by her!!! I rarely go a day without listening to this song whether I choose it from a playlist, it randomly comes on or I am out running and it plays on that playlist.
If you have never paid much attention to this song or in fact never even heard of it. I hope this makes you think about your legacy and what you want to leave for otters!!

1 comment:

  1. LACEY YOU ARE AN INSPIRING YOUNG LADY!! I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS BLOG. AND MRS.RITCH ALSO TOUCHED MY LIFE IN MANY WAYS AS WELL. SHE GAVE US AN ASSIGNMENT TO READ A POEM I FORGOT THE NAME OF THE POEM BUT THE POET LOOKED IN THE MIRROR AND THEN WROTE A POEM ABOUT WHAT HE HAD SEEN IN THE MORROR AND OUR ASSIGNMENT WAS TO DO THE SAME. I LOVE TO WRITE POEMS AND SHORT STORIES. SHE READ THEM IN CLASS OUT LOUD WITHOUT GIVING OUR NAMES. SHE LOVED MINE WHICH REALLY MADE MY DAY, MY YEAR ACTUALLY. SHE GENUINELY LOVED THAT POEM I WROTE AND THAT AMAZED ME AS SHE READ SOME OF THE LINES SHE STOPPED A COMMENTED ON THE LINE AFTER READING THEM SHE CALLED IT BEAUTIFUL.IT WAS A FEELING JUST A WONDERFUL FEELING THAT I CANT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT NOR CAN I REALLY DESCRIBE. I ALMOST CRIED IN CLASS. SHE GETS ME I THOUGHT TO MYSELF. I HAD BEEN GOING THROUGH ALOT AND THE POEM REFLECTED ALOT OF THAT WHAT I SAW AT THE TIME AS A RESULT OF THE THINGS THAT HAD HAPPENDED TO ME. (sorry i didnt mean leave a long comment) SHE INSPIRED ME IN SOO MANY WAYS AT AN AWFUL TIME IN MY LIFE. AS SHE WAS READING MY POEM ANOTHER PERSON, A GUY, MADE SOME REMARK OUT LOUD ABOUT MY POEM AND MRS RITCH GOT REALLY UPSET AT HIM FOR DOING THAT. I WAS JUST SOOOO HAPPY THAT SHE LOVED IT AND NOT JUST THAT SHE UNDERSTOOD WHAT I WAS SAYING AND THAT MENT ALOT TO A PERSON LIKE ME. I WAS IN 9TH GRADE,I WAS ON THE VERGE OF DROPPING OUT OF SCHOOL,THERE WAS THINGS GOING N WITH ME THINGS THAT HAD HAPPENED TO ME, AND SHE COMPLIMENTED SOMETHING I DID. A FEW WKS LATER I WAS MOVED TO LEARNING DISABILITY CLASSES. I TESTED FOR THEM AND IT WAS DETERMINDED THAT IT WAS WHAT WAS BEST FOR ME. I DIDNOT DROP OUT OF SCHOOL I GRADUATED AS WELL AS PASSED THE 11TH GRADE LEVEL EXIT EXAM. I HAD A LOT OF PEOPLE TRYING TO HELP ME TO KEEP ME IN SCHOOL AND NOT TO JUST DROP OUT. MRS RITCH WAS ONE OF THE DETERMING FACTORS THAT HELPED ME MAKE UP MY MIND TO STAY IN. SHE MADE ME FEEL IMPORTANT LIKE I WASNT STUPID AND I WAS JUST AS WORTH IT AS EVERYONE ELSE. I JUST WANTED TO SHARE THAT WITH YOU. I SAW WHERE YOU SAID THAT YOU WAS A LIFE CHANGED BY HER. AND I THOUGHT OF HOW SHE HELPED TO CHANGE MINE AS WELL. AND LACEY YOU TOO ARE AN INSPIRING LADY! I ADMIRE TEACHERS AND SPECIAL ED TEACHERS IN A BIG WAY. MR AND MRS TAYLOR WERE ALSO EXTREMELY GOOD TO ME. MR. TAYLOR PASSED AWAY BUT YOU PROBABLY KNEW THAT. ANYWAY SORRY I WAS SO LONG WITH THIS. THANKS FOR BEING YOU!!

    ReplyDelete