Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hot Pink Wellies

Almost a year ago spring was getting closer and I was tired of wet feet so I decided to purchase some rain boots....you know me,pink was the only option! I found this adorable pair of hot pink ones from Walmart of all places. Within a few days I was out doing afternoon bus duty in my neon boots when a couple of middle school girls yelled "I love your boots, they look just like DC Cupcakes!" I had no idea what they were talking about so naturally I googled it...only to find my new mentors Sophie and Katherine!!!
I started watching the show because I was interested in baking cupcakes because after all I loved eating them. Now I was in love with Ivey Cake in Franklin,TN but after watching one episode Georgetown Cupcake became my new obsession. I will admit their antics and humor as well as Mommy make the show but the tall hot pink Wellies made me love them more. I really never imagined I could bake their recipes though.
I kept watching as summer rolled on until finally trying a recipe. They were strawberry champagne cupcakes....they flopped. It probably didn't help that the power went off in the middle of baking but I quickly learned buttercream was a science.
I didn't give up on baking but I knew I needed some new pans, easier recipes and trial and error. I started making some pretty good cupcakes, so once Sophie and Katherine's new book, The Cupcake Diaries came out I gave their recipes another try.
I read the book in an hour and quickly marked things to remember from technique to recipes. Their buttercream base is so easy and you just add a few extra ingredients to create any flavor you wish. For the sake of copyrights (and my laziness concerning typing extra) I will say either google the recipes or better yet buy the book. Every person who bakes cupcakes must have this book!
I used their coconut cupcake recipe as the base cake for this bday cake for my dad....the other layers of coconut were my creation.
For bunco in January I tried to conquer the strawberry champagne cupcakes , , champagne buttercream, strawberries and ganache layered dessert...success this time even with the ice storm coming down!
For Flori's bday I went with the lighter version of their chocolate cake with toffee chip buttercream
I look forward to trying more recipes and hopefully I will make it to Georgetown cupcake soon!! Until then at least we have our pink Wellies

No comments:

Post a Comment