Sunday, February 26, 2012

Pinterest changed my Life

Laugh all you want but many of you can say this. I have always enjoyed baking and some cooking. The cupcake craze plus my love of them had already gotten me to experimenting but Pinterest got me to work. This summer I started looking up recipes then the site went viral. Now I cook almost three emails a week from pins plus whatever baking I do along the way. I love all my other helpful boards but I am going to be in the kitchen before doing a DIY project. It may sound strange but I photograph some of my food because I keep them with the hand written recipe...found a cookbook project, pinned it and now making my own. I take more photos of dessert than real food but I am working omit. One I will share comes from my
Meatless Monday collection. It's quinoa stuffed red peppers.


Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
adapted from Vegetarian Times

Ingredients:
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
1 8-oz. pkg. mushrooms, stems removed and saved for another use and caps sliced very thin
1/2 of a poblano pepper, diced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 – 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
1 – 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cups grated carrot
1 1/2 cups grated Pepper Jack cheese, divided
4 large red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, ribs removed
Directions:
Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and poblano pepper and cook 5 minutes, or until soft. Add cumin and garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms and drained tomatoes. Cook 5 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated.
Stir in quinoa, carrots, and 1 3/4 cups water. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 20 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. ( i just cook quinoa and carrots with veggies in a large deep skillet) Combine quinoa and carrots with black beans, 1 cup of cheese, and the onion mixture from the first step, . Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour liquid from tomatoes in bottom of baking dish.
Fill each bell pepper half with heaping 3/4-cup quinoa mixture, and place in baking dish. Cover with foil, and bake 40 minutes. Uncover, and sprinkle each pepper with 1 tablespoon of remaining cheese. Bake 15 minutes more, or until tops of stuffed peppers are browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Transfer stuffed peppers to serving plates, and drizzle each with pan juices before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment