Saturday, November 7, 2009

Getting Ready

The last few months were filled with training and fundraising for the 3 Day. My last fundraising post was about Pink Bunco. Not too long after that were the Wal Mart weekends. The first weekend only Jan and myself made it to Wal Mart. WE got up early loaded EVERYTHING form drinks, shirts, tables, signs and coolers. We get to WalMart set up and begin to eat breakfast when the bottom falls out. Needless to say we had to put everything back in the car and unload it again at school. We were drenched, but we got a good laugh about it. the next weekend we all took our turns sitting out in the blazing the sun, but we made more money that over a shorter period of time than anything else we did. Gotta love those Wal Mart shoppers!
Our next event was the yard sale. Now I will say I wasn't looking forward to this because I am not a fan of these events. We all met on a Friday to price, but little did we know our stuff took up the entire floor of our school auditorium. It was evident that we would not be doing any individual pricing. Next, we had to haul all this stuff to Juanita's. A few of us then began to put everything out until we all decided we were going to die of heat exhaustion. Once Saturday came we had a bright and early morning. I have to admit I never in my life have seen so much stuff. I wish I would have taken a picture. We could have clothed a small town with the clothing we had. We were fortunate to have so many people to donate so much stuff, but I would never thought it would have looked like this. We did make quite a bit of money but it was a lot of work. We barely made a dent in the stuff, so we decided to donate some to a local charity and then a man came to pick up the close to ship to Africa for a mission trip. I think we clothed a small village and they probably each had a new pair of shoes.
In July we began to train some. We had some interesting adventures on hikes at TVA, but I will admit they were fun! We really slowed down on the fundraising until school started back. We were getting so close we only had to sell more shirts and get some donations.
Training was always fun. Megan and I spent a lot of time training. We probably over trained. We also had some training walks. We walked in the heat and even the rain. We walked in neighborhoods, hiking trails, and even participated in some 5K's. I always enjoyed the walks because I feel like that is where I got to know my teammates more. Those were some of my favorite memories.

Okay so I have to mention more about the 5K's. WE participated in two 5K's. Several of us did the Power of Pink which was a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. It was a great experience that made me want to get back into running. We walked most of the first one.
Next was the Shoals Christian Race. It rained that day so I was the only the team ember to compete, but I had friends there. I ran more of it because it was in my neighborhood, so I had trained there a lot. I also ran more because I was trying to avoid getting wet. I took home 2nd place in my age division that say...so what that there were only two of us!!! I am getting hooked though. I am ready to start back running.

No comments:

Post a Comment