Sunday, January 11, 2009

. excuses

I explained early on that sometimes I may write about things that some people may take offense too, but for you just to remember it is my opinion and if you have issue with it then take it up with me.
Yesterday I was reading a familiar story form the old testament. It was the story of Jacob. I came to the part in Genesis 31 where Jacob decides to leave his father-in-law and take Rachel, Leah, their maidservants and all his children back to the land of his father Isaac. Well because he had deceived his father-in-law he left in secret, but what he did not know was that Rachel stole gods from her father's house. Laban finally catches up with Jacob and wants to know where his gods are. He begins to go through everyone's tents, but does not find anything.Rachel had hidden them under saddle on her camel. Laban is getting ready to leave and is saying goodbye, but Rachel gives the excuse that she can not get off her camel because she is on her period (when really she does not want him to find the gods). Now I do not know about you but I found that quite interesting. The text I was reading was the NIV, ,but other versions do refer to it as having the matter of the woman.
What strikes me as odd is that even in Biblical times women were using the excuse of being on their period to get out of doing something. Now you may not think of it like that, but that is what it seemed to me. Yeah sure she was using it as an excuse to hide something, but I think all women have used it at one time or another to excuse behavior, get out of work or just a way of staying in bed all day. I know some of you will say that sometimes it is not an excuse. I will agree to that because I have had my share of episodes of the years, but come on no woman can tell me she has not at some time in her life used the . excuse.

Please do not send me comments saying I have disgraced a Bible story because that is not my intent I just found it interesting and wondered if anyone else had ever noticed it:)

No comments:

Post a Comment