Tuesday, January 6, 2009

To Educate

Okay, so sticking to this blogging is going to be a task. I mean it was hard enough to get back to the Y and work all day. We educators have it a lot easier than we realize sometimes. Now I will be the first to tell you that unless you do it one time then you really do not understand how difficult it is to be with children all day let alone teach them too. Please don't get me wrong I love my job, but when people who sit alone at a desk all day tell me I have a cushy job I think they sometimes forget that spending seven hours with a bunch of small children does actually take some work.
I guess I should explain what I do. I am a teaching assistant for children with special needs. Now some of you reading may be a little surprised. Some would look back and say I would was going to be Dr. Sewell one day. Who knows that may still happen, but I think I like small children better than teaching college students. More of you will be surprised that I am not in a full time teaching position...well I can definitely explain that one. After finishing my bachelor's in special education at Freed Hardemen I took one year where I did not work but only went to school to get my masters in special education at the University of North Alabama. I had one more year to finish and I really did not want the load of having a full time teaching position. A sweet lady named Mrs. Faye Lacefield talked me into applying for an assistant's position because she said " we want to keep you close to our system." Luckily, one of the teacher's (who I now highly regard) in my interview chose me to work with her children at her school...that is when I began working at Forest Hills Elementary School. It has been four and a half years and I love it more and more each day. I have filled in full time postions for those who have had to take a leave of absence. I have even interviewed for other jobs (and have been offered positions), but I love my job. I will not lie the money would be better, but I really do not need a lot of money to live on. I mean I do not drive, no rent to pay and no one else to support.
When I began working at Forest Hills I helped a hand of students with autism in their kindergarten class. I did this for almost two school years. At first I did not know what to think of spending all day in a regular education class with five year olds...that is not what i signed up for. Come to find out I love children at that age and I did not even have a problem with being in the regular classroom. I think that was a good start for me and I think those children will always hold a special place in my heart. I really had my doubts about being in a room with another teacher and me being in an assistant's position, but it was not too bad because that teacher ended up being one of the closest friends I have ever had (she will come up again I am sure). Also in the beginning I primarily worked with students with autism which is what I truly wanted. However, the last two years I have worked with children with mental retardation. I will be the first to tell you that children with autism touch my heart like no other and I will always want to work with them, but what I do now has fulfilled a hole that was in my life. I absolutely love my children. I would not trade my job for anything.
You see I basically get to teach these children without the hassle and work of planning and paperwork. I tell people that I really get to play with them, but we learn a little too. I am fortunate that I can stay in this position. I know one day I may not have that opportunity, so I need to take advantage of it now. I do not know what my life would be like without the children I get to spend each day with. I should also say that I work with some wonderful women. The teachers I work with have been some great mentors and I have learned so much. The one I work with now in particular has been someone I really look up to. One day I will teach and I will love having my own classroom and the responsibility that it brings, but for now I want to educate.

No comments:

Post a Comment