Thursday, February 26, 2009

Cotton Pickin'

One of my favorite memories while in college was the annual trip to Missouri to pick cotton. Now for those of you who do not anything about this might find it a little odd, but let me give you some history. My friend Keisha (Ketchum at the time) lived on farm in the boot hill of Missouri. One of their major crops was cotton. Obviously we didn't really pick cotton because now it is picked by machines. What we really did was get into the big bins where the cotton is dropped off before it goes to the gin. The group usually consisted of a combination of me, Keisha, Emily, Stephanie, and Laura. We would get there on Friday afternoon change into our pickin' clothes and go out and play in the cotton. Sounds childish, but we had the most fun. Mrs. Ketchum always cooked wonderful food. We ate ALL weekend. Sometimes we would go up to the Children's Home (U think it was in central Arkansas) to do some volunteering. We usually took a small road trip to do something. It might be a movie, riding in the carts at Wal-Mart, eating at Lambert's or something else off the wall. We usually did go up to Missouri more than once a year, so sometimes cotton was not involved, but our times in Missouri was always so much fun. I guess one of the funniest things was the night we were going to sleep in the camper. I think the other girls were not very happy with Emily and I. We also always had some good road trips to Knoxville, and Alabama. The five of us could always get into some trouble. I truly miss getting together with them. Hopefully we will all get together again someday.
My hope is to eventually get some pictures scanned for this blog, but my scanner is not working right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment