Sunday, February 22, 2009

Read All About It

I do really enjoy reading. I do not get to read as much as I would like. I do read the newspaper and stuff online everyday, but I only get to read a couple of books a month.
I learned to read at an early age because it insured that I would not have problems in school. Dr. Seuss as my favorite author as a child. Growing up I read mainly at home because I guess I was under the impression that it was not cool to be one of those who people who carried around a book all the time. I always completed my reading assignments in high school, but again I did act as if I did too much of it. All of my friends did their school work, but I usually could totally understand some of the more depth stuff our teachers would talk about. Like I have said before Charlotte was one person who could see through it and pushed me to do more with myself.
While in college I began to read more around campus...probably because we had to read a lot. I also read more for entertainment. The summer between my junior and senior year while living in the house with the girls. was when I became addicted to Harry Potter. It was that summer when the first movie came out on DVD. Emily, Candace, Steph and Liz all wanted to watch, so I of course watched. I actually enjoyed the movies, so Candace let me borrow the books. While on vacation in Seattle I finished off 2 and 3. I eventually finished 4, but I had to wait until the others came out to read them. Each time a new one would come out I would read the previous ones. It was also always fun to go with Liz to the movies. I will never forget having to call back to school to tell them we were going to be late since our Harry Potter movie messed up.
In the last few years I have tried to get back to reading some of my classics. I like to read all kinds of stuff from religious books, novels, and like I have mentioned bocks about special needs children. I have recently started reading the HP books again since a new movie is coming out. Now you can make fun of me all you want, but they are good books. I also like seeing when children get interested them for the first time.
I think reading is so valuable. I wish that parents spent more time reading with your children. I know many do, but so many do not. I love to see small children learning to read and realize how reading will change their lives forever. Books can take you places you have never been as well as help you become creative individuals. Reading can change a person's life. I know it had mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment