Monday, February 2, 2009

The Pieces That Fit Together

Children with autism fascinate me. I do not want that to sound weird because I love these children , but they are such an interesting group of people. I guess it was in college when I first realized that I wanted to work with these children. I had the privilege of having a professor who had worked with children with autism for a number of yeas. I know I have talked about his somewhat when I discussed my job, but this was a part of my random things.
The title may throw some of you guys off, but Autism Speaks (an autism organization) uses puzzle pieces as their symbol. Why you might ask, well because all of them are different, but their tendencies fit together to make one whole individual person.
I love how they are all on a spectrum and no one is ever the same. You know for people to assume they are odd is a misconception because I mean we are all different aren't we?It is amazing to see how smart some of them are when most people think they are out there. Then I love to see the milestones that some of the more severe ones make.
Honestly I could write about his forever. I could tell stories of children I work with or others I have read about. I do not want to bore some of you, but just know I absolutely love these kids. I think they are some of the most wonderful humans ever created. I am sure some parents might not agree, but find the blessing in the world that these children live in. They are truly special.

No comments:

Post a Comment