Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Dirty Jobs

Yes I did watch the show a lot but it has been a while since I have tuned in. Some of you might be trying to guess my dirty job and your guess would be bathroom detail with some of my kids...but no.
For a short period of time in high school I worked at a recycling plant. Now this is definitely not the dirtiest job I have ever done, but hey I needed a title. I do not know if you many of you know it and for that matter it may not still be open but at one time a family owned a recycling plant in Hamilton out on airport road. I did not work long hours. Honestly I only put in a couple of hours a day. I actually acquired the job through the school work program. The Emerson's who owned the pant had a contract with NTN Bower that gave them the chance to help recycle some of their products or to find ways to use recycled material to store their products. The part I have so far left out that was my fellow coworkers were young men on work release.
Let me explain my job at the plant first. I initially rolled recycled cardboard into small cylinders that would fit inside larger berrings for storage. I finished that job quickly so I began inspecting small berrings. I checked for scratches, buffed and polished them. Now I actually did not work alone. Two other girls helped out...Erica and Penelope. We actually never got talk to the boys, but one time one said a few choice things to one of the girls. I do not think he ever got to come back.
I on occasion got to separate recycled materials if I had time left on my shift. This job did teach me a few things. One everyone needs to do a little hard work. I was glad I learned that at a young age. I also learned that no one is above doing dirty work.
Finally I guess that is where I got my recycling obsession. Now it took me almost ten years after the job, but now I am a recycling machine. Many of you who know me know I am just as obsessive about the sorting as I am the recycling. I am really trying not to waste anything these days and i really try to conserve and recycle. I d believe we as a society have trashed our planet in so many ways and f we do not start doing something then things will only get worse. God gave us this beautiful place to use until the end of time ad we should take care of His planet. Don;t you ever wonder why people are more sick and have all these toxins. It is because we are polluted (in many ways, but I will not get into that). We all should consider taking care of what we have been given..get out and recycle. I was born to push this message. Earth Day is My Birthday after all!

1 comment:

  1. You write so well! Can I hire you to write my blogs for me? :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete