Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Creature of Habit

Are people who seem to be creatures of habits looked upon as being OCD or having autistic tendencies? If so, then I then that is me. I think in my case I currently lack spontaneity in my life. I do not mean I am not a spontaneous person, because I can be, but my life as it is now leaves no chance for spontaneity. I believe if I had children or for that matter even a husband then that could be different. I am not saying that you have to have those things for your life to be exciting, but seriously we all know that can make a difference. In this discussion I do not include things that happen at work because their is never a dull moment there, but not because of anything personally that I do.
I am by no means complaining, but some of my life, like a lot of other people's, is monotonous. I get up get ready in the same order, get to work at the same time, leave work, go the YMCA, ,come home, eat dinner, work on the computer, read and go to bed. Yes, some days things are a little different, but overall that is about all a do on an average day. I love my life, but sometimes I wish it were a little more lively.
Also in the discussion of creatures of habit let's think about a few things:
driving the same way to and from work
sitting in the same spot certain places i.e church, restaurants, etc.
eating the same foods
I could go on and on. We all do it. We have certain ways we want things done. Even people who say things like this are dull carry their lives out a certain way too. I like a schedule, so call me autistic..I don't care.
I might seem OCD because I am organized, a germ freak (getting better about it), and I like things to always be where I leave them..exactly. I sometimes count steps, but that is not because I am OCD, it is because I always count them when I am with my students. It is a chance for us to practice counting.
I am not saying there is anything wrong with these quirks, but sometimes I wish I would make the effort to be more open to the chance off spontaneity. This blog has been quite odd..maybe because I am sick and can not think straight who knows. I do know that I committed to blogging the whole month of Feb. and the OCD has kicked in to make me get a blog out today.

No comments:

Post a Comment