Saturday, February 14, 2009

That Sam I Am

This blog could be about my favorite childhood book Green Eggs and Ham, but its not. It could also be about my mom's only hope of a grandchild, Sam Sweatt, but its not. It is actually about Sam from school.
Honestly, he's behind the title, but it is about some of the children I work with at school. I love all my kids equally and for different reasons. I have already talked about my job at length, so I a not going to do that again. I have also discussed my fascination with children with autism. Now I want to say something about the majority of the children work with each day. Now I do not want to get into too much for privacy reasons of the children. I would not want their families to think I am exploiting them. I spend my days working with children who mainly have mental retardation that can result from a variety of conditions...for example Down syndrome. Like I mentioned I love all of them, but I do want to say more about Downs. In recent years I have become more interested in the subject. I tend to read more books and I love to watch TV and movies concerning the topic. I think they are precious children. The just like children with autism are different one another.
This year I have been introduced to a new young man. He is a five year old boy with Downs. He does in fact also have the heart conditions associated with Down Syndrome. He will eventually have to have surgery, but he never misses a beat. He is tough as nails and is not afraid of anything. Now honestly I love him just as equally contrary to what others might think. I guess I am a little more attached because I have to help him more with things. I was the same way with other kids when I had to help them with more skills. Now I can love them in different ways.
I wish I could talk more at length and more in depth about all of my children, bu I would never want to intrude on their privacy. Since he is icognito in the sunglasses I will show one pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment