Saturday, November 6, 2010

Grandparents

Not only have I been blessed to have some wonderful grandparents in my life, I had the honor of knowing two sets of my great grandparents. Grandparents are a treasure we often forget about. They are truly where we gain some awesome wisdom and understanding. they are often the foundations of our families. On my dad's side of the family I only had one grandparent, my beloved Grannie Ruthie. Let me just say that was all I needed. She was only in my life thirteen years, but that was enough to make a lasting impact. For those who knew Ruth Sewell, they were blessed. I know all of her children and grandchildren can say that. She was a wonderful Christian lady who expected you to follow those same biblical principles she did. I have so many wonderful memories of her. I know cousins who will never forget when we ran over the cow on our way to church. Every time I sing "Standing on the Promises" at church I think of standing on the stools in her living room and learning to lead singing. My dad says I am just like her in a lot of ways. Mostly when it comes to being cold all the time and having the most bony hands and feet, but hey I will take it. I couldn't ask to be like a better person.
I had a host of grandparents on my mother's side. First, was my Mawmaw. I only had her in my life for five years, but we have more memories in those five years than I will have with some people all my life. I didn't go on vacation without her. Every Friday night I spent the night with her. When I didn[t want to tag along with my parents I called her. Mary Nell Bailey was a special lady whose life was cut short. Next, my Pawpaw or as I now call him, Pops. We used to do everything together. He would pick me up on Saturday and we made our rounds. He is the only grandparent I have left. I now take for granted all the wonderful times we had. My other cousins never got to experience the Pawpaw I had. he loves them all dearly, but I got experience a one of a kind grandfather. I do not spend the time with him I should now. I know I will look back and regret that one day. Elvis Bailey Sr. has blessed a lot of lives and helped many people, but he will always be my number one Pawpaw!!


Ma and Pa Bailey were two characters. I mean they were old when I was born, but lived through half the life I have had thus far. The two of them both lived into their nineties. I only hope I have their genes. They lived with Mt dew flowing in their veins. Pa was a sweet little old man. Ma will forever be known as a witch doctor. She was famous for her wart removal and curing colic in babies. They were good hard working Christians who had many grandchildren and great grandchildren who will aspire to be like them in some way.
Papa and Granny Byrd were two more characters. Papa was essentially blind by the time I was born or at least could remember. He still had a lot of wisdom and stories. He was a hardworking man that was admired by many people. Granny Byrd was one of my favorites. She never lied that I know because she always said what she was thinking whether you liked it or not . why my parents ever let me ride with her behind the wheel I will never know. Even when I was still in college I loved playing dominoes with her. I just wish I could have beaten her once, but she was known to cheat every once in a while. To her I was the one with the affliction, but I think she was proud of my overcoming it. For the last ten years of her life she would often slip me some money in case she missed a graduation or birthday. what a feisty woman!
I have also been blessed by some wonderful adopted grandparents, but one in particular Meemaw (Marie Hargett) was such a blessing to me. Grandaddy and Meemaw were the greatest second grandparents a young girl could have.
As I said grandparents are a part of our family's foundation. I hope many of you have been blessed by some wonderful grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment