Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Relationships

We have so many various types of relationships to be thankful for, so today I will be discussing relationships and then gradually reflecting upon all those different relationships I am thankful for. I do not plan to go in any particular order especially priority because no one should really base a relationship on how much more important it is than another. Each relationship is different even if its in the same category (i.e. family, friends etc). Each person has their own uniqueness and history.
No one can really guess how long a relationship will last. You have some people in your lives from birth to death. You only know others for a brief moment, but you can be impacted by both types in so many ways. God does not intend for everyone to have the same degree of relationship with a person throughout life. That is the point of living. Time, distance and reality change our relationships. Often times we even sabotage relationships. We either do that intentionally or little by little things change.
It is difficult when a relationship comes to an end. Often it is believed the hardest is when someone is abruptly taken from you. We always say to ourselves that we didn't even have the chance to say goodbye. Others end with the chance of saying that goodbye, but honestly is it really any easier. Finally, we have relationships that we take for granted...we never let that other person know how important they are. These are the people who come and go through life and often make the most difference. Can you think all the many relationships you have that fit these descriptions?
I have lived almost thirty years and in my lifetime had thousands upon thousands of relationships. What I must admit is that almost all of them I have taken for granted. I have lost many I loved, life has continued on so others have been lost by way of time and distance; and finally I have sabotaged otters by not letting them know how important they are. I have a fault that I am not proud of. The majority of the time I have too many high expectations. I make it impossible for people to reach those expectations. Let's face it we are human and humans are far from perfect. When someone lets me down I often just give up on them. How fair is that? How can anyone have fulfilled relationships with that attitude. Also I can admit I focus on one relationship at a time. I often put all my attention into one relationship while the others sit idly by until time and distance just pull them away. When I wake up and begin to try to cultivate other relationships I realize those people have simply moved on with their lives. If you are reading this and think I have done this to you...then I am truly sorry.
This past year I lost a dear friend which made me realize I had a lot of relationships that needed more focus before it was too late. Instead of working on all my relationships simultaneously I started just focusing on those I thought needed the most time, but ended up hurting those closest to me.
If we were all truly honest with ourselves then we can admit we all take for granted certain relationships. Now I may never get married or have children (sometimes I even ask myself if I want to), but many of you take these relationships for granted. You assume your spouse and children will always be there for you, but will they? Parents often think their children will accept them no matter what. Friends are supposed to always be there for you right? Well humans aren't always going to sit by and let others run over them.
Sadly disease destroys so many relationships. Things from alcoholism, cancer, Alzheimer's and so many more take the lives of those we love. We either take for granted this can happen, sabotage the relationship so we don't have to deal with the disease or indirect relationships are ruined because of the disease. One person dies from a disease but your relationship with another is ruined because of everything you went through. Friends can't be together because it is too painful to be around one another without that other member of the group. Parents and children lose relationships because they can handle the aftermath cancer and Alzheimer's has left. i am sure you have these broken relationships.
Today let's all think about the relationships in our lives and whether or not we are doing everything in our power to keep those relationships. Everyone doesn't need your undivided attention everyday, but at least they need to know you will be their when they need you. Which relationship is worth saving to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment