Saturday, November 27, 2010

Susan G. Komen for the Cure

You may think it is silly to be thankful for an organization, but I guarantee if you are a breast cancer survivor or know someone who has survived any type of cancer you won't think it silly. There are so many great cancer organizations such as Relay for Life and so many others. My first charitable experience was staying up late at night and walking in a Relay event. SGK for the Cure not only helps support breast cancer research, but because of the findings and results from their research it also benefits other types of cancers. Some people disagree with SGK's delegating of funds, but you should probably take the time to read their responses and understand their reasoning. When will we learn to find out facts for ourselves and rely on media and hearsay..okay off my soapbox!
Two years ago around this time a group of women I work with decided to do the Breast Cancer 3 day for the Cure in Atlanta. Our team eventually grew to 11 members. We raised over $25K for our team. We had so much training and then completing the walk. I had always been a proud supporter of the Pink, but after I did this walk I became addicted.

I am thankful for my first experience with Leslie, Nicole, Donna, Juanita, Jessica, Leah, Megan, Melanie, Jan and Pam. I hope you all each do it again one day. I know my first experience will most likely be the one I remember most, but you never forget that feeling.

I now not only make sure I wear pink every day in October, but you are hard pressed not to find me wearing pink everyday. I may simply have on a watch or bracelet or others times I am dressed head to toe. I take every opportunity to speak about my experience and encourage others to participate. Only a couple weeks after our walk in October 2009, I registered again. I did not know who was going with me but there was no way I was going to miss it. After some interesting turns of events I ended up doing the 201 Susan G. Komen 3 Day for the Cure with my friend Flori. I was so glad to get to share my experience with her. We raised our money in record time and trained a little.

The event was a wonderful experience. It was neat to watch it through someone else;s eyes. I did not do as well physically this year, but that goes back to my over confidence that didn't need to train. It is a little easier with a small group, but you miss the atmosphere of a larger one. I enjoyed Atlanta and would do it again, but I am also ready to try out some new places. again I am going no matter who goes with me. As the motto sates everyone deserves a lifetime, so as long as I am able I want to help make that possible. I want to imagine a world without breast cancer..what a blessing that would be.

Here a few shots from this year. You can also see the whole album on facebook.




I also have to say that I have been blessed by the support of so many of you who have participated in fundraisers, bought shirts, volunteered and remembered my journey in your prayers. Thank You

No comments:

Post a Comment